All staff are teleworking from home until further notice. Claims filed online continue to be worked; however incoming mail will incur processing delays. We encourage you to file your claim online. If you have questions, please connect with us by calling 360-534-1502 or via email at The Department has created a webpage listing relief for businesses during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Unclaimed Property - you may be richer than you think! - Washington State Department of Revenue


Claims Information

Q. I found my name. How do I file a claim?

Click the Pursue Claim button and follow the instructions on the screen. Our easy to use electronic filing system will ask you questions and guide you through the process. You can either submit your claim electronically, or print a claim voucher to mail to our office. We encourage you to file your claim electronically, it’s the fastest, easiest way to claim your property.

Q. What does attach proof mean?

When you click on the "attach proof" link, you can upload the proof requested directly into our system. You will probably need a scanner to get your items into an electronic format.

If you do not have a scanner, you can still use our electronic filing system. Just chose the mail in option from the Provide Proof page and print the claim voucher. The voucher lists the items we need to process your claim. Make copies of the items listed and mail them to our office.

Q. What if I do not have a printer?

Some claims can be without any extra proof required. If your claim requires additional information and you cannot submit electronically or print a claim voucher you can:

  • Call us at (360) 534-1502 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday to request a claim form.
  • Send us an e-mail. Please note in your e-mail that you do not have a printer and need a claim form mailed to you. Also, include the name found in our database (or the claim inquiry number) and your mailing address.

Q. I received a claim form your office. Why can't I find my name on your database?

If your name was added to our database during the month, your name will not appear until the next update. Our on-line database is updated once a week.

Q. Who can claim funds listed in the database?

  • The original owner as reported to our by the company holding the funds.
  • Heirs of the original owner, the Personal Representative (if the estate is currently in probate), or a beneficiary.

For more information refer to the How to File a Claim page on our web site.

Q. I still live at the address shown in your records. Why was the property reported to the state?

There could be a number of reasons the holder didn't contact you before reporting and transferring the property as unclaimed. For example:

  • The company may have sent a letter but it could have been delivered to another address by mistake.
  • There may have been a merger or acquisition of the company and the acquiring company may not have had time to send notices before the property was reported to the state.

Companies are not required to notify owners of items under $75 prior to reporting and transferring it to us.

Q. There is no address listed with the name I found in the database. How do I find out if it belongs to me? How would I prove that the funds belong to me?

If a company does not report an address with a name, the claimant will be required to provide proof that they did business with the company who reported the property.

An example of proof is a receipt or statement with the original owner's name and the company name.

If you have never done business with the company reporting the property then the funds may belong to someone else.

Q. Is there a time limit for filing a claim?

No. Unclaimed property is always available to the owner.

Q. Once I file a claim how long does it take to receive my funds?

Claims are processed within 60 days of receipt. If the claim is for shares of stock or mutual funds, it may take up to 90 days.

Q. How do I find out if I have unclaimed property in another state?

Go to, a national site that contains links to 49 states and the District of Columbia.

Q. Do I have to pay a finder's fee?

An asset locator, fee finder, or heir finder is a person or company who charges a fee for helping owners receive their unclaimed property. The fee is usually a percentage of the money due to the owner.

Under Washington law, a finder may not charge a fee of more than 5% of the property value. Owners and their heirs do not need to pay a finder's fee to anyone to claim funds being held by the State of Washington.

Q. Your web site shows dollar ranges and not specific amounts. How do I find out the specific dollar amount of my claim?

To ensure confidentiality, specific dollar amounts will not be given out over the phone until ownership is established.

Q. I submitted a claim for property before March 2018 and want to check that status - can I do that in My DOR?

Yes. You’ll have to complete a one-time process to access your claim information from our old system in My DOR. After you log in, you’ll be asked whether you submitted a claim in the past two years, click Yes and then enter the user ID and password you used with our old system to view your claim information.

Q. What is My DOR?

My DOR is the secure portal for Department of Revenue’s online services. You can use your SecureAccess Washington username and password to log into My DOR. After you have logged in, you'll be able to pursue a claim, file holder reports, send and receive secure messages, and conduct other secure tax and licensing business with the department.

Q. What is SecureAccess Washington?

SecureAccess Washington (SAW) is an application gateway created and maintained by Washington Technology Solutions (WaTech). SAW allows users to access multiple state government services with the use of a single user ID and password.

Printer Friendly | Your Privacy ©2020 Washington State Department of Revenue and its licensors. All rights reserved.